January 22, 2014

How Raquel Welch saved my bacon...

It's funny how things seem to interrelate in a positive way...when you let them.  I have been working on some animation for work that involve blood flow, growth nutrients and corpuscles and stuff and in truth I found that I was at a loss to visualize what the heck this stuff looks like.  I mean it is not like anyone has ever actually driven a tiny little submarine through someone's veins...

Then I thought of Raquel Welch


Now this is not an odd occurrence during a lonely morning of modeling and animating. I mean when I was in middle school I often bugged my sister Leslie to take me to TOWER OF POSTERS (which would have been more appropriately named if they called it TOWER OF BONGS) to buy decorations for my room.  A lot of those were posters of Formula 1 Drivers but when puberty hit Ronnie Peterson gave way to Raquel Welch. I mean at one time I had the Myra Breckinridge poster beside the "1,000,000 years BC" fur bikini shot and the larger than life size B&W "walking on the beach casually so as to drive young testosterone fiends wild" snuggled in behind the door.

In this case thought there were things more than hormonal involved because anyone who knows the BODY of Raquel's work knows she was the sole female inhabitant of the Proteus, the microscopic submarine in FANTASTIC VOYAGE.  After I pushed past the images of Ravishing Raquel in the form fitting neoprene suit I realized that the concept designs for the veins that the crew battled rampaging white corpuscle was perfect for what I wanted! I mean the film DID win an academy award for special effects after all!

So behold the FANTASTIC VOYAGE veins of the LPRF...and tonight I am going to buy FANTASTIC VOYAGE on iTunes (I can write it off, right?)