January 21, 2014

Why I have come back to BLOOGER

So I started with BLORRGER in 2002 and had a pretty good run of it, thank you very much.  Before it was purchased by GOOGLE in fact I was right up there on the front page as a "BLOG go Note", meaning the editors of BLOGGER read my stuff at that time and liked it so much they thought they would tell others about it.  In a time before adverts and click through I saw my hit counter go from lassie to spinning like the dials of THE TIME MACHINE.

Then I discovered WORDPRESS and I decided that I could DO IT BETTER and BE MY OWN GUY, nobody owns MY STUFF (well except Facebook and any other nameless website that I chose to enter information on for whatever reason).  So I went it on my own and it was good for a couple of years.

Working with WORDPRESS I started any number of BLOGS on any number of subjects.  So many in fact that I went from posting everyday to not posting because of the sheer weight of the possibilities.  Add to that that I acquired someone who was my most loyal fan, read everything that I wrote and often took comments I made as personal affronts. An endless stream of fiery e-mails and texts (yes this person has my phone number) is enough to stifle anyone's desire to open up and share.

The final straw came when I got hacked.  My ISP says my passwords were sloppy and they got in that way.  I scanned my MAC for key loggers and trojan horses and the only ones to be found were in files I got from that same ISP.  WORDPRESS's community was unhelpful and at times insulting.

"If you don't use 128 bit key encrypted NSA style Passwords then you DESERVE to be hacked!"


I won't equate that sort of crap to rape as that is inappropriate but the behavior you must admit was pretty damn similar.

Additionally, despite it being the backbone of an entire web design industry WORDPRESS remains OPEN SOURCE.  That is great for both developer AND spotty-little-bastards-who-like-to-mess-with-other-peoples-stuff.  I call them that because I am attempting to avoid using the term "hacker" and, by extension "hacking".  The mindless Golem that is the media has lionized those terms so much that they have stopped being the description of thieves and avaricious telemarketers and started being seen as "rebels" and "heroes".  That sort of "brand recognition" is heady stuff in a society where social norms do their very best to, as gently as possible, pound the living individuality out of every child before they go to middle school.

So since WORDPRESS is "Open Source" there is no tech support, other than web board full of anti social proles who love to prove they are smarter than everyone else by describing things that only...well people like themselves can understand. Because it is "Open Source" the people who profit most from it's existence can thrown up their cheeto stained fingers and say:

"Your problem dude, not ours...!"

So here I am, no great fan of what Google is rapidly becoming but also SICK TO DEATH of cleaning out infected php files and resetting passwords.  I know it is a dangerous thing to assume ANYTHING anymore about ANYTHING.  I have also had to deal with Google's "tech support" but at least they have one.  Additionally if I am blogging on BLOGGER my stuff is resident on firewalls that THEY have to tend to.

So welcome back BLOGGER, you have gone from being the enemy to the lesser of two evils.