February 11, 2014

Happy Tuesday

So I started to react to something I saw over on FACEPLACE this morning...then I stopped.  The whole idea of getting off that site was to go back to having fun on the internet, treating it as a playground rather than a gulag.  That may sound naive to some but hey you gotta roll with what you got, right?  For me, especially after yesterday (I apologize for the TMI and will reign myself in the future) I need to put some serious efforts into lightening up.

Yesterday was good though, after a bad start.  How bad can it be if I get paid to play in After Effects and Premiere al;l day, honing my skills for whatever I feel like doing for myself after hours.  I may actually get this whole "9 to 5 job" thing eventually.  Additionally I had the pleasant surprise of feeling like, at least for a bit, that the people I work with "had my back".

Turning my passion into my job for all those years only succeeded it dulling my edge and driving a flaming stake through my passion.  Now I am trying the alternative and it is kinda cool. 

Part of that is getting back to working on my own projects, which when you are employed means something different then when you are freelancing.  When you are freelancing, well then you have to consider all the possibilities of "monetizing" your work...which is like creative saltpeter to me.  When you have a "Day Jobbe" though, and thus a source of income outside of your creative endeavors, you are free to let your mind wander.  Doing something that is not commercially viable is often good for your soul, if you are freelance though it can be hazardous to your health.